cross domain remote debugging

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:53 AM

Hey

Im just wondering if anyone else is doing cross domain remote debugging with SPVisualDev. I noticed that the debugger is not correctly being attached to the remote machine (even though i can manually attach it). I suspect that this is because i have the wrong debugger connection string. Is there any way of manually specifying this? I also noted that the PDBs werent in the correct location to load symbols for the debugger, im wondering if this happens when the debugger is attached by SPVisualDev?

Cheers

Coordinator
May 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Hello,

I know there might be some problems attaching the debugger to a remote machine, I couldn't get all the parameters right when I was testing it. I introduced a feature where you can choose what type of transport to use when attaching and if I am not mistaken, there should be an option for attaching without authentication which might solve some problems. I know this is not a very good solution but if you are in an isolated enviroment with no security risks then maybe this feature should do it?

I admit I haven't had any time to spend on this project for the last 6 months because of all attention to SP 2010. But I hope there should be a new version as I mentioned earlier in a previos thread.

Regards,
Tony

May 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Hey Tony,

Yeah i saw that there was an option to select the transport for the debugger, however if you are in no-auth mode you cant debug managed code. My understanding is that to correctly configure the debugger you need to specify the qualifier to connect with and that this isnt just the remote machine name, (ie DTE-AD\luke-sp-01-main@DTE-LUKE-SP-01 works but DTE-LUKE-SP-01 doesnt) Im not sure if this is because of the cross domain environment we run.

Thanks
Luke

May 3, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Hi Luke.

Just to know... the problem described in this post could be the same of the one you are talking about? Wrong "server name" passed when trying to connect to the remote machine, right?

I don't know if the code I posted is still valid in the last release but as I said before you could try a temp workaround by downloading the source code and then editing the tool to add a custom texbox somewhere to provide the qualified name to use when connecting.

At last this should help to determine if the "domain\username@domain" could be the correct form of the server name.

 

May 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM

yeah it definitally looks like were talking about the same issue, i will mod a version of the code to see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks for your help

Coordinator
May 10, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Cool, Have you found a solution to this? I haven't had time to look on this any further. I've just released a new version for VS 2010 and it would be great if we could solve this remote debugging issue. Any help would be appriciated. I'm aware that the code has reached a state that makes it difficult to maintain and a re-write would definitely be in place here..but again..time :-)

OMG, It is almost 2½ year old code in some places, I can't even imagine I could write such ugly code *shame on me*

If i had to choose, i'd re-write the code from scratch and make it better in many ways. 

May 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Lol, yeah i havent gotten round to it either aye, Ive been flat out busy with non-sp work at the mo unfortunatly.

May 31, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Edited May 31, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Cross-domain debugging like this isn't much of a SPVisualDev issue, but rather that of ensuring the right credentials are sent across the wire, and understood in the right way on the server end. The trick is to have the debuggee's credentials mirrored as local accounts on the debugger machine, and vice-versa for the debugger's (your) credentials . You then may need to connect to the debuggee using user@machinename syntax rather than just machinename. It's fiddly, but I've gotten it working.