Wish list

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM
Edited Oct 31, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Hello all SPVisualDev users!

I've created this thread so you can add features that you wish future versions of SPVisualDev should have. Feel free to add your own wish list here and maybe santa will bring this features right to your development machines soon :-)

Summary list - last update 2009-10-31

* Add external assemblies in WSP which are not referenced in the project
* Prompt to overwrite files that are write protected (offline checked out) instead of error message
* Be able to specify code path that apply to all features in the project
* Add url to Image for feature icon
* Recursively activate / deactivate features for a whole site hierarchy
* Re-introduce the reactivate feature menu action
* Mapped folders to 12-hive

Regards,
Tony - project coordinator

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I´ll add the first one:

I would like to have the ability to add projects, that my main SharePoint artifact project does not have direct references to, so that I don´t have to use some sort of external BAT script to GAC these assemblies when I develop. Sometimes (if you use fe Unity) you only have a direct reference to somelike like .Model where you have the interfaces to communicate through. In rumtime though the implementation of these interfaces live in another assembly (.Data) which my SharePoint (wsp) project does not directy know about. However it would be nice to have the ability to have SPVisualDev build and GAC these assemblies aswell.

Thanks in advance Tony, you´re the king!

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM

One more (I have already told you this one but just so you don´t forget):

It would be nice to have SPVisualDev detect if you haven´t checked out the feature.xml file for example and maybe pop you a question to do so (or change the readonly flag on the file...don´t know if you can talk to sourcecontrol that way). It is sometimes pretty anoying to make a lot of changes and then be prompted with an ugly errorscreen which tells you that the file was write protected.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I´ll keep ém coming (since I´m working with the product on daily basis I come across things):

It would be nice to be able to set how all the features treats code and namespace (ie I want my codefiles in the root of the feature, not in /code, and I want a specific namespace). As far as I can tell I have to set this on each feature I add or am I missing something?

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:29 AM

It would also be nice to be able to add an ImageUrl (also from resource perhaps) in the feature dialogue

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM

It would be nice to be able to have a base class for the featurereceivers (which I use for logging for example) and then have SPVisualDev pick up that I want to use this baseclass. Now I have to first generate the .cs file in the feature, remove all the code from this class, make it inherit from my baseclass. Also, if I now open spvisualdevs featureUI it tells me that my featurereceiver must inherit from spfeaturereceiver...which it does but via a baseclass.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM

When activating/deactivating a feature it would be nice to have the option in setting targets to do it recursively for a whole sitecollection (or perhaps the rootweb and all webs below).
This is due to the fact that I often have a web scoped feature that needs to be activated (or deactivated) for all webs in a sitecollection.
Don´t know if it´s only me but I can find that useful.

Also it would be nice to have a menu command the re-activates a feature.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I´m just firing away here like a crazy man. Don´t expect all my wished to be included but just to get the inspiration going. This one I got from SPC2009 actually:

I was so inspired with VS2010 and the way that "mapped folders" work. It would be nice to have the same sort of support in VS2008. What I mean is say I have a project (web) where I have a folder on the root named "App_Views" where I place my ascx control. Now, in SharePoint we have to copy those to 12/TEMPLATE/CONTROLTEMLATES/[subfolder], right? Well now I use a XCOPY command to do that when I build and it works but when I use SPVisualDev it would be nice to have the ability to either make SPVisualDev do that or to have the ability to point this folder to a folder in 12 hive (like mapped folders) and have SPVisualDev "copy on save" to that location.
Comments etc?

Update:
Just to clarify this. I want SPVD to do a "copy on save" to the 12 hive/folderofchoice but I also want to copy the file to the 12 hive in the project so the WSP will include the file.

Nov 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Hello Tony,

I thought I´d make a couple of comments on some of the items:

Summary list

* Add external assemblies in WSP which are not referenced in the project (add them to the SPVisualDev build experience - ie have SPVD add them to the GAC...if they are added to the WSP that is a plus but I would like to have the option to do so or not..maybe I just want them included in the DEV phase)
* Add url to Image for feature icon (prefferably to all the features in the project..usually all the features in one project all share the same company logo...right?)

Keep up the great work,
Johan

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM

It'd be nice if there was a way for SPVisualDev to remove the project 12 files from the server 12 Hive.  Sort of the opposite of the "Push down files" functionality.  That way, you can work on a project, and then back out your changes from the SharePoint server without leaving a trace.

Great works!
Ryan

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM

The feature settings dialogue where I add the default namespace for the feature receivers etc now adds an underscore (_) to separate the namespace. It would be great to have SPVD to respect the namespace of my project like MyProj.SharePoint.Features.MyFeature

Also, it would be great to set a common namespace for all the features, like MyProj.SharePoint.Features.[FeatureName] or something like that, ie use the common namespace of MyProj.SharePoint and the be able to set Features hardcoded for all the features and then have SPVD pick up feature name (or exclude it if I don´t want it) like one of those $TargetPath macros is VS.