This version contains only minor fixes on currently known issues. No new features are added which means same features as in version 2.1.2.
Package SPVisualDev_VisualStudio_2008_Addin.zip is the main Visual Studio addin install package
This package is for developing localy or remote. It includes the windows service which is needed for some of the debugging features and for 64bit SharePoint installations (read more below).
If you plan to install the addin on a non server OS like XP, Vista etc. select "Client" installation type when installing the MSI. Please read the Readme.txt file included in the zip package before installing.
Package SPVisualDev_WindowsService.zip is the service install package you need to install on the server you want to work on remotely.
This package is not needed if you install the main VS Addin package (above). This service is only intended to be used on development environments. Although you need farm admin privileges to run the service methods, it's not recomended to install it on a production environment. The default port for connecting to the service is 5667.
If you plan to upgrade from an erlier version you should upgrade both the Addin and the service if you are using remoting features. If you run SPVisualDev on a single local farm configuration you do not have to install or re-install the service because it is included in the Addin install package and installs / uninstalls automatically.upgrading notes for version 2.0.1 users
Fixes in this release
- Attached event receiver class is not removed properly when removing
- Possible issue with receiver class
- Settings error when creating new project Title is required
- More (See issuses section)
features in version 2.0
- Remote development, debugging and deployment. >>read more about remoting features
- Full support for non server OS like XP, Vista, Windows 7
- Farm explorer integrated in IDE >>read more about farm explorer
- If you have WSPBuilder extensions installed it will pick up the path to wspbuilder executable automatically, so no need to configure that path anymore.
- You can enable SPVisualDev features on any project template. Just right click on the project node in solution explorer and choose "Enable SPVisualDev features". It will create a 12-hive folder under the root if it doesn't already exist.
- Visual Basic .NET support
- New automatic event receiver XML generation. >>read more about event receiver generation
- Selective push-down configuration (choose which folders should be pushed down to the 12-hive or not)
- Debug feature event receivers
Features from previous versions
- Real time sync files from your local visual studio project with files in the 12-hive.
- Easy to add new features and edit settings and elements from a form UI.
- Easy to install / activate Sharepoint features from context menu.
- Edit and bind resources easy
- Automatic event receiver xml generation and synchronization.
- Standard set of custom project and item templates, including Web part, event receivers, Application / Master page etc.
- Debug feature for application pages so you can view the page with the VS debugger attached.
- Integrates well with WSPBuilder by Carsten Keutmann
- You can use the key shortcut Alt + R to recycle IIS application pools instantly inside Visual Studio IDE. With Alt + G you can paste a new GUID.