Problem connecting to remote server

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Hi, I have set up remote server as described in the user guide and I am running the service on remote SharePoint 2007 farm server with same account as the WSS Timer service account, yet I still cannot connect. I keep getting this message:

SPVisualDev was unable to connect to the windows service 'SPVisualDevService' on server myservernamedev1. Make sure the service is running and that it runs as the SharePoint service account. Access denied to remote server myservernamedev1. You must be a member of the farm administrator group to use this service.

The remote server is Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64bit and I'm running Win 7 SP1 64bit with Visual Studio 2010. I tried 3 different accounts to connect with but keep getting this message. I even tried 3 different account to run the service but still no luck (all accounts are in SharePoint Farm Administrators group). Can someone help me figure out what I'm missing in my setup? Thanks

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Here is more information. I installed VS 2010 on remote server and when I try to do local development is works just fine. When I try "remote development" option from the VS2010 on the remote server, it fails just like it does from my local machine. Is seems to me there is a problem with the way I have the service set up. Any ideas? Thanks

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Okay, I figured this out, the documentation is wrong. The SPVisualDev service should run with a Local Service Account and NOT with the same account as WSS Timer.